Dear Conference Participants,
The 16th International Conference on the Short Story in English, which was scheduled to be held in Rende, Italy at the University of Calabria (UNICAL) from June 24-27, 2020 has been postponed. I made this decision in conjunction with the Board, the Co-Director, The Conference Advisor, the on-site staff and many other individuals who contributed to hosting the conference in Italy this year. It was a hard decision, but given the circumstances of the Covid-19 virus which has consumed the world at present, it was a timely and necessary one. I say postponement, because the university has graciously agreed to host us next year, should that be possible. The dates are June 23-26, 2021, with an expanded theme of Food, Migration, Diversity, and Survival: The Many Flavors of the Short Story. I am sure we all understand the need for that expansion. I look forward to seeing you all there next year.
Due to this postponement, please note and read carefully the following:
1. For Scholars: The collection of abstracts and panels will remain in place with a deadline now of February 1, 2021. Please notify Dr. Jay Ruud if you do not plan to attend and request that he delete your name from the list. Otherwise your abstract will remain on the list for the program. The list of topics will remain the same.
2. For Writers: The conference anthology will continue and I am going to keep the deadline for the writers now on the website of March 31, 2020. I am asking those writers who have not submitted their short stories for the conference anthology to do so by that date.
3. The short story contest will continue and the extended date is now April 20, 2021. The contest reading fees are not refundable.
4. For Workshop Participants: The workshops and workshop leaders will remain in place. There will be at least two additional workshops in 2021. Please check the website for those additions later.
5. Refund Options: If you want refunds for registration or workshops, please send the request to the email below. You also have the option of asking that your fees remain intact and credited for the 2021 conference.
Please note that all fees will remain the same.
If you want refunds for hotel bookings, please send the request to the email below:
If you did not book accommodations from the website, you need to contact that place individually.
Thank you for your patience and diligence in working with me and the wonderful conference personnel in our joint efforts to host this wonderful conference in Italy. I hope to see all of you plus more in Italy next year. Be safe, well, and healthy and take this time to read all of those writers on your bucket list. Arrivederci!
Maurice A. Lee, Director